[tlug] Re: UTF-8 Terminal Emulators?

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> writes:

>     Mike> Yudit and (X)Emacs have their own special solutions to
>     Mike> switch between different input methods.
>
> It's not particularly hard to switch, at least as long as a global
> input method is acceptable (which it should be), although you have to
> be a little careful in a threaded app (because you need to change the
> global locale).

Yes, 'mlterm' can switch between different XIM servers and it doesn't
appear to be difficult to implement. As far as I know, no other
application besides 'mlterm' currently has this feature though.

> What's hard to do is to implement the callbacks and
> filtering well for on the spot conversion.

Yes, that is very hard and therefore it is implemented well only in
very few programs currently.

Current versions of Mozilla and gvim (Vim with gtk gui) support
on the spot perfectly.

Qt3 does support on the spot, but there are a few problems left,
see

    http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-input-style.html

I hope these can be solved soon.

>     Mike> IIIMF is supposed to give a general solution which would be
>     Mike> the same for all programs.
>
> That's what they said about XIM.  Who has implemented IIIMF, though?
> I've been hearing about it for over 3 years now, and the
> reimplementations of Canna and Wnn in pure Elisp are progressing
> faster than IIIMF as far as I can see

What do you mean by 'reimplementations of Canna and Wnn in pure
Elisp'? I assume you are not talking about interfaces to Canna and Wnn
written in Elisp like tamago.

> (except in Java, I presume, but I don't do Java).

I tried to include IIIMF in SuSE Linux 8.0, but there were many
problems I could not yet solve and I was unable to make it work right.
I'll try again for SuSE Linux 8.1 of course.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。