[tlug] Connexions timing out to sunsolve.sun.com

I just compiled a new kernel (yes, I know, Chris, that will break
*everything*), and noticed one piece of pretty strange behaviour. When I
attempted to connect to http://sunsolve.sun.com/ or
http://store.sun.com/, I would get a timeout. This is true from any web
browser (I tried Galeon, Mozilla, and Lynx) and even a telnet to port
80. The funny thing is, I do not get this with any other websites (that
I have noticed in the past couple of days running with this kernel). I
can also ping both sites quite happily.

I upgraded from RH7.2's default kernel (2.4.7) to 2.4.18. I am not doing
anything fancy with iptables (or ipchains, for that matter). In fact, I
reset my chains to ACCEPT and flushed 'em just to see if that would
change anything. It did not. I cannot swear that ipfilter (for which I
compiled support into the kernel (well, as a module which is being
loaded, tashika ni)) is not doing anything, but I don't think so (where
should one check?).

Basically, I looked around and did not see anything that would cause
this behaviour. Maybe I did not look in the right place?
/var/log/messages and /var/log/secure are two places where nothing was
mentioned.

Needless to say (so why am I saying it?), I rebooted with the old kernel
to see if the problem went away, and it did.

Any ideas? An RTFM with a kick in the right direction would not offend. ;)

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Computer Science Undergrad
"No segfault, no problem!"