Re: [tlug] Re: UTF-8 Terminal Emulators?

["A.Sajjad Zaidi" (Re: [tlug] Re: UTF-8 Terminal Emulators?) writes:]
>> > Well, I usually have my LC_CTYPE set to ja_JP.EUC-JP because usually
>> > when I work with Japanese, I work in EUC.

Me too.

>> Is this a Windows vs. the rest of the world thing? I have my LANG set to
>> ja_JP.eucJP and I can view/input Japanese fine, but nobody is able to
>> read my mails.

What charset are you sending out on your "Content-type:" headers? Even
Whinedoze software should respond correctly if your headers are correct.

>> Another person told me I should use sjis, "just like everyone else". Is
>> that correct?

Well the "everyone else" is incorrect. The actual standard for emailed
Japanese is still ISO-2022-JP. If you need to have your email read by
brain-damaged Windblows mail clients, it may be useful advice. Just
don't send me Shit_JIS-laden email, as I adopt a  trash-before-read
policy towards such things.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298