[tlug] Re: UTF-8 Terminal Emulators?

Mike Fabian wrote:

> Ryan Shaw <ryan.shaw@example.com> writes:
>
> > I've tried using "xterm -u8" but I get empty boxes when I try to
> > print UTF-8 strings.
>
> You need to specify suitable fonts. Which fonts are suitable depends
> on what parts of Unicode you want to display.

I see. That explains it.

> LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 works just as well if you only want to display
> Japanese but don't need to input it.

Well, I usually have my LC_CTYPE set to ja_JP.EUC-JP because usually
when I work with Japanese, I work in EUC.

Fortunately, when I tried the -fn and -fw options as you recommended
with the -u8 option, I was able to view Japanese UTF-8 strings without
having to change my LC_CTYPE.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan