Re: [tlug] Honeypots

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 06:17:53PM +0900, Matt Doughty wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 05:47:38PM +0900, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> > I'm not convinced of the utility of a honeypot.  Reminds me of a bit
> > that Robin Williams did at the Met: "it won't stop 'em, but it sure as
> > hell will amuse them for awhile".
>
> I don't think many of them are nearly as interested in improving security
> as they are in 'understanding how these hackers think'.  Definitely
> a waste of time in many respects but at least it can make an interesting
> read when your bored.

I had a read through The Honeynet Project[1]. It was interesting. More of a
research/information gathering type situation. Not really intended as a security
measure. The requirements[2] for participation seemed strict.

[1]
http://project.honeynet.org/project.html
[2]
http://project.honeynet.org/alliance/requirements.html

--
jack_morgan 		 ...A small static core and many
j-morgan@example.com		dynamically loadable kernel modules...