Re: [tlug] disk configuration: drive mounting

[Christopher SEKIYA (Re: [tlug] disk configuration: drive mounting) writes:]

>> The primary rule with UNIX users is that of least privilege.
>>
>> Users should not be editing the fstab, as that is a task assigned to the
>> system administrator.

Well in principle I agree. I was a happy Unix user for 10 years without
even thinking about fstab. The sysadmins did their job and all was well
with the world.

Then in 1994 I installed Linux for the first time, and in 1995 added a
CDROM to the box. All of a sudden I needed to know a lot about fstab,
and I have had to fiddle with fstab ever since - usually to make the CD
and FDD user mountable, to mount the VFAT or whatever partition, to
install a ZIP drive, etc. etc.

The point is I want to be a user; not a sysadmin. Yet the out-of-the-box
installations rarely set up fstab the way I want.

I have never tried a GUI for fiddling with fstab - fortunately it is one
of the more approachable and better-documented control files. At least
it doesn't jump form place to place and change names between releases
the way some do.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298