Re: [tlug] Re: Correction: Re: epcEditor

[Mike Fabian ([tlug] Re: Correction: Re: epcEditor) writes:]
> [...]

[snip]

>> This works for me in SuSE Linux 8.0-beta. See the screen shot at
>>
>>     http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/screenshots/jim-breen-xim.png

Thanks. Very useful.

>> As you can see, this uses root window input style, i.e. when typing
>> Shift-Space, an 'Kana-Kanji Conversion' window pops up where you can
>> type Japanese. Each time you confirm a kana->kanji conversion with
>> 'Return' the result appears in the tk-widget. Typing Shift-Space again
>> closes the 'Kana-Kanji Conversion' window again.

Good olde "root window input style". Reminds me of kterm and kinput
about 10 years ago.

>> Until very recently, XIM didn't work at all in the upstream version of
>> tcl/Tk 8.3.4.

Ah.

>> Keiichi Takahashi <bitwalk@example.com>, Reinhard Max <max@example.com>,
>> Jeffrey Hobbs <jeff@example.com> and me fixed this recently in the
>> upstream tcl/Tk sources.

Ah again. I had a lot of email exchanges with all three of them last year
on this topic. Keiichi gave me a "Japanese patch" which partly fixed
input, but screwed a couple of other things, which pleased me not.
Eventually I gave up and stopped reading the tcltk newsgroup (poor SNR).

>> Only a small fix was necessary to make it
>> work with 'root window' style input.  This is a bit ugly, but usable
>> and better than nothing. To support the more convenient 'OverTheSpot'
>> or 'OnTheSpot' input styles, more work is necessary.

I installed 8.3.4 after getting your email. (RH7.1 came with 8.3.1.)
I couldn't find an rpm for RH later than 8.3.2, so I grabbed the
Activetools binary tarball, which (fume, rage) puts everything into its
own location (/usr/local/ActiveTcl/), so I now have two parallel tcl/tk
installations to sort out.

Anyway, running this latest version against that little script I was
able to type real Japanese into a tk widget. Mirabile visu (or
whatever).

Many thanks. A new horizon has just opened up.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298