[tlug] Re: Gnome over VNC in Japanese

"Jim O'Connell" <oconnell@example.com> writes:

> I have a RedHat 7.2 installation on a machine that I would like to
> be able to VNC to and have it set for Japanese.

> I know that the machine is all set up for Japanese, because if I log
> in locally using GDM, I can select Japanese as an option and it
> works beautifully.

When you select Japanese in GDM, it will start the X-session with LANG=ja_JP.

> (If I start X using 'startx' I can only get English, but that's sort
> of a different problem.)

use startx like this:

    LANG=ja_JP LC_ALL=ja_JP startx

This is basically what GDM does, it sets the locale before starting
X11. You can get the same effect with startx when you set the locale.

> I've read the documentation about setting the language variables,
> but they simply do not seem to work.

> Anyone currently able to do this?  (I've included my ~/.vnc/xstartup
> file below.)  Also, but less importantly, setting the display size
> to 800x600 would be handy if it can be done *only* for when logging
> in through VNC - to avoid that annoying window scrolling...
>
> Cheers,
> Jim
> PS - the following works well for English Gnome:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> xsetroot -solid grey
> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> gnome-session &

The following should do it:

    #!/bin/sh

    xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    LANG=ja_JP LC_ALL=ja_JP gnome-session &

Probably you can omit LC_ALL=ja_JP. Works on my system without.
I just added the LC_ALL hammer here to make sure that
you get everything set to Japanese (especially LC_CTYPE).

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。