Re: [tlug] End of StarSuite and StarOffice beta

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, BOTi wrote:

> Michael Engel wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > At the moment, the beta version of StarSuite and StarOffice can be
> > downloaded for free.
> > Will this change with the release of the official product ? Did someone hear
> > such news ?
> > http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/6.0beta/endofbeta.html
> > Thanks
> > Michael
>
> I think it will be available. If not, OpenOffice is, so no worries.

The following was recently distributed to people who downloaded StarSuite:

"As beta products are designed to run for a limited period of time, the
StarSuite[tm] 6.0 beta product is set to expire on Sunday, March 31, 2002.
Sun is providing a free patch to extend the life of the beta software
until June 3. Please visit
http://www.sun.com/starsuite/patch.html to download the StarSuite 6.0 Beta
software patch."

When I downloaded OpenOffice several months ago, I couldn't get it to
work with Japanese (despite helpful pointers from Tluggers).
StarSuite was relatively straightforward, by comparison. Anyone
(successfully) using OpenOffice with Japanese?