Re: [tlug] Yet Another RH7.2 Question (Hopefully the last)

Jim Breen wrote:

> My last big problem is the screen colour. The out-of-the-box installation
> seemingly correctly identified my Toshiba's video chipset (Savage S3) and
> the Toshiba screen. I had a working X immediately.
>
> HOWEVER, it became quickly apparent that I did not have the same colour
> quality as before. When displaying jpgs via xv or Netscape, they were
> grainy and spotty. Netscape itself, and other software like Acroread
> kept complaining that it couldn't allocate the right colour map. When
> Acroread runs, the rest of the screen goes red and green. The default
> background blue screen is a blue/purple stipple.  Attempting to run an mpg
> via xanim or anything else produced a mostly red and green mess.
>
> I have fiddled with the /etc/X11/XF86Config to no avail. I even replaced
> it with the one I used (successfully) with RH6.2, but there is no
> change.

Jim,

I think your color problems are because you are not running X in true color
mode.
If you are using Xfree 4 then edit XF86Config-4 else edit XF86Config
Under the screen section add "DefaultColorDepth 24" (or try 32) and
and a subsection for the color depth like this
    Subsection "Display"
             Depth       32
              Modes       "1024x768" "720x400" "800x600" "640x400"
         ViewPort    0 0
 EndSubSection

--
B0Ti.