[tlug] Linux domains ?

Hi,
I hope that what Mr Garrison said applies for this question as well.
In a work environment I am only familiar with NT networks. They operate with
a domain, a PDC and BDC which have copies of the users etc, so that a user
can use his login name on any computer within the domain. How does linux do
this? I have never used it in a work environment where several users may
need to access different computers, so I have no clue. It wouldnt have the
one copy of /etc/passwd distributed on all machines would it? How do the
admins usually go about setting up a 'domain'.

Cheers
Ray