Re: [tlug] Speaking of networking...

Hi Jim,

I have the Corega stuff, both the small access point and their pcmcia cards. I
bought the access point used from Sofmap, but bought new cards from Plathome.

Basically the access point worked by just plugging it into my hub/switch. But by
using the windows client you can supposedly configure it somewhat. For example
encryption, which I have not even looked at yet...

With kernel 2.4.17, I put the following line in my /etc/pcmcia/config:

card "Corega Wireless LAN PCCB-11"
   version "corega_K.K.", "Wireless_LAN_PCCB-11", "Version 01.02", ""
   bind "orinoco_cs"

Allthough I do get some errors once in a while (like this from syslog:

Feb 17 12:06:51 hypatia kernel: eth1: Error -110 writing packet header to BAP
) the orinoco_cs module seems to work great.

It has not given me any problems yet, but I don't get any more than about 5Mbps,
and the drain on the notebook battery is pritty big...

As for the ESSID, I just used the default one in the instruction manual. After
configuring the access point through windows, I changed this to a non default
setting.

My only regret is that I did not look careful at the powerusage on other
wireless cards. A few more YEN would have been worth the experience of a less
powerhungry card, if that exist. I just chose the cheapest deal...

Let me know if you have more questions regarding this setup.

On a side note, apparently, USEN is offering 100Mbs "fiber access" in my area
(Arakawa-ku) for YEN 6000 per month, with 5 static IP's. No ports are blocked,
they say, and installation fee is only YEN 3000, since Arakawa-ku will pay the
rest. I am really tempted...

~ Hav.