[tlug] Introduction and first query

Greetings,

I am new to this list, and brand new to Linux, having just installed
Mandrake. Some of you may be familiar with my on-line CJK dictionaries
at www.acmuller.net.

I am looking to shift my work from Windows over to Linux as much as
possible, tho it will take some time, since my dictionary development
project has been ever-increasingly dependent on an elaborate set of Word
  macros that I have developed over the years. But my distaste for That
Company is encouraging me to switch.

My first basic question: Are there any Japanese (or even Chinese) IMEs
available that can be set up and used in an English Linux environment? I
am aware that I can use Emacs with MULE (haven't figured it out yet),
but eventually there will be a need for an IME that can be used on
various applications.

I have always used Japanese versions of MS Windows, and could probably
do the same with Linux eventually, but I think that at the beginning I
need to stay with English Linux until I get the feel for it.

Regards,

Chuck Muller