Re: [tlug] corrupt passwd db

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:57:08PM +0900, Sven Simon wrote:
>
> > I get something like /etc/master.passwd wrong format or line too long...
>
> ... because it's also corrupt.
>
> > Unlike under Linux /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd are not readable,
>
> ... they are, actually.  Something is badly wrong with your /etc.
>
> -- Chris

Ok, my fault. Although I extracted the downloaded etc.tgz and dived
into the dir, I must have issued the absolut pathname when catting
master.passwd. But since you pointed out these files have to be
readable, I gave it another shot and... voila!

Copy original over corrupt ones, do pwd_mkdb, issue new password with
passwd and here we are again.

Thanks Chris