Re: How to use samba mangled japanese filenames as CLI args?

"Jean-Christian Imbeault" <jean_christian@example.com> writes:

> >From: Tobias Diedrich <ranma@example.com>
> >
> >You should have these options set in your smb.conf (section global):
> >
> >    client code page = 932
> >    coding system = euc
>
> Yup. Have these. Tried others too but no help.
>
> >Samba will then translate the Filenames from SHIFT_JIS charset to the
> >EUC charset used in *nix systems.
>
> True, but the EUC charset doesn't seem to display well on my VT's. In
> case it wasn't clear I don't use X-windows, I either log in at the
> machine itself on a VT or telnet in.

You need a telnet client which supports EUC-JP. If your were running
the X-Window system, you could use telnet in a Japanese capabable
terminal like kterm or rxvt. But you write that you do this from Windows
not from X, then you have to look for telnet client for Windows which
supports EUC-JP. I don't know whether such a thing exists and where to
get it.

If you log in at the machine itself on the console, you need
a console terminal emulator which supports EUC-JP, i.e. something
like kon2 or jfbterm.

> When I do an ls the files usually
> show up as a bunch of ???? and other chars. An ls
> --show-control-character (I think that's the option) makes the files
> list as a bunch of strange EUC chars.

Instead of setting that option you can also set the right locale

   LANG=ja_JP.eucJP

than it should work without that option.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。