Re: can't input Japanese in kinput2 (And what I've learned)

I actually sent this one from the wrong account, so there is a possibility
it will show up twice--if so, I apologize......but I did want to make sure
that my thank-yous (both on and off topic) did get posted

On 11:36 2001/09/16 -0400, Scott wrote
>On 00:07 2001/09/17 +0900, Jonathan Q wrote
>>Scott (scottro@example.com) wrote:
>>

>>Does this mean it worked before?

Well, everything has turned out to be moot--the hard drive is really on its
last legs, and out of warranty to boot.  :)  (bad pun)  I'm not able to get
it booting at present, although an hour's rest might change that.  I'm
posting this both as thanks, and as a warning for the less experienced.

However, I really want to thank Mike and Jonathan ---for awhile at least,
I'll be more cautious about testing everything after making changes.  In
this last case, not only did I throw away the old kernel, but did what is,
for me, standard configuration when I reinstall a system, putting in
various things--as mentioned, some of them were samba and openssh.  Next
time, after each program is installed, I will test the things I need (such
as kinput2) to ensure that they're working properly.

A quick totally off-topic note:  As email has been very sporadic here--the
World Trade Center had several major switching centers---a quick note of
thanks to those from this (and other) lists who wrote to ask if I was
OK--in case any of you didn't get replies, yes, both my wife and I work
well uptown from the World Trade Center and our home is also uptown from
there, so we were among the fortunate ones--nor have we lost any friends,
thank God.
Again much thanks to all of you, and if any of you didn't get my replies,
I'm sorry.

I'm fortunate too in that one of my mentors (an MS one actually) used to
work at the mayor's office and we're going to be able to volunteer some
time and expertise setting up a small network and database at the armory
(where people are going to check on missing people.)
Sorry for the off topic post (although we may be putting in a rudimentary
Linux firewall too.  :)  )

Again, thank you.
Sincerely,
Scott Robbins