Re: melco wireless PCMCIA card

Jerome Limozin writes:
 > "Marcus O.C. Metzler" wrote :
 > >
 > > Forget the encryption it dosn't help anyway. Look for airsnort on
 > > freshmeat.net and you will see. If you still want a cheap card with
 > > encryption get one with prismII chipset. Then you can use airsnort
 > > yourself and even build your own access point with a linux box.
 > >

 > I know WEP encryption is weak, and I treat my wireless network as such :
 > publicly accessible. So I'm not using WEP as my only security measure.
 > I was just hoping that 128b encryption would be more difficult to crack
 > than 40bits! It doesn't seem so...
 >
 > BTW, Melco doesn't sell anymore the old model as far as I can see.
 > Regardless of using wep or not, will it work with linux?
 > What wireless base station and cards TLUGers would recommend? I'm happy
 > with melco so far, but I just  want to look around...

Well, melco is fine. I picked up two cards when I was in Japan last
year and they work with my Elsa access point and with the access point
I made out of my old notebook using a D-Link DWL-650 card which has a
prism2 chipset that can be used in AP mode. The Elsa cards are also
fine, but probably not sold in Japan. Orinoco also works great, as
does the airport card in my tibook. If you want to use Ad-hoc mode you
have to be careful because the firmware on some of those cards may not
be compatible.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@example.com                     http://www.metzlerbros.de