New to Linux.

Hi fellow tokyoites,

I am quite new to this group, and just as new to linux.

I am actually an NT sysadmin, but am really wanting to learn LINUX. I
currently have Dragon Linux on my Toshiba notebook (cant get any sort of GUI
to work mind you) which is giving me a bit of grief, as I am sure LINUX does
to most newbies.

I have a few Q's if thats OK.

Is Dragon Linux a good distribution?
Also, what are some good books to read out there for new LINUX users such as
myself. I am not really TOO interested in learning how the GUI works(mainly
wanting to learn how to run the OS from the shell prompt, of course a GUI
could make some things easier). What would you recommend?

Cheers
Ray