Re: Broadband Router/Firewall

> I am thinking of getting the more expensive type, but would like to get
> some opinions.
>
> 1. Is Stateful Inspection worth the extra 15,000 yen or so?  Should I
> forget it and just get a cheap NAT/Masq box?

It depence, but if you asking this quesion then I would guess you don't need
Stateful Inspection firewall

> 2. Anyone has experience with Allied Telesis's AR320?  It seems to be the
> most featureful but has only 10Mbps interfaces on both sides, so I am
> worried about its throughput.
>
> http://www.allied-telesis.co.jp/products/product/brouter/ar320/index.html

don't worry, you will never excess 10Mbps on a dsl connection.
{Just to give you an ideal; T2 is only 6312 kbps = 6.312 Mbps}
{And I have not seem any ISP that offer more than 5Mbps on dsl connections}

> 3. I am also considering ZyXEL's ZyWALL 10, or a SonicWall but those seems
> to be expensive.  Any experience in those?

no comment

> 4. Planex's BRL-04FW is the most inexpensive but they don't provide
> manuals on their website so I can't check how the user interface is.  (And
> I know some of you have some not-so-good experience with PCI gear).
>
> http://www.planex.co.jp/brl-01/brl-04fw.htm
>
> Stephen

My suggestion to you is to go with something not too expansive and easy to
use.
SysLink, D-Link, and Maxgate would be good candidate for you to consider