Re: Where to start? kinput2 wnn mule... etc.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Fo" <chrisfo@example.com>
To: <tlug@example.com>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 9:29 AM
Subject: [despammed] Where to start? kinput2 wnn mule... etc.

> Hi,
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction for  instructions to
> enable Japanese text input on a Mandrake 8.0 system. I have been
> scouring the net but I am finding it pretty confusing (I have some user
> level knowledge of UNIX but not much more). At present I use Windows
> 2000 for all my Japanese text needs (email, browsing) but I am really
> keen to start using and learning Linux.

Yes, I found it pretty confusing as well.  The best page is Mike (Fabian's)
at

http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/node1.html

However, if you already have kinput2 and canna installed, as well as the
fonts, there's my own brief overview (pretty much a work in progress--first
put up to remind myself how to do it when I reinstalled :) ) at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

Mine doesn't even mention emacs, which (if one is familiar with emacs, so
I'm told) is probably the easiest way.  It just covers what I came
across--for example, using canna rather than Freewnn, etc.

In a nutshell--I'm assuming you have kinput2, canna and kterm installed and
are running an English system. In either an Xterm or kterm type
kinput2 -canna &

Now, if you open up a kterm window and hit shift + space you'll see a
hiragana ?.  From there, you can input with English keyboard, get hiragana
and choose kanji.

In an English O/S, I only got it working with pico and vi---they also must
be opened from a kterm, not an xterm.

HTH
Scott