Re: Multimedia support

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Doughty, Michael wrote:

> Now I know that I can get the Hauppage working under linux (don't know
> about freebsd yet, which is what I recently installed), but the support for
> the 2.2.16 kernel I was running was...horrendous.  I have heard a 2.4.x
> kernel provides much better support, but I have not yet been able to
yes, it's built into the kernel in 2.4.x, you want the bttv module. It
should auto detect which card you have and configure it'self
automatically. alternativly you can "force" a card personallity on it.

IIRC bttv should work in FreeBSD as well, although you will have to check
that on the project web site.

> check this out, and there is plenty of room for "much better" to still
> suck.
it uses the standard V4L interface... it just works.

The SB Live definatly works, however you may want to use alsa, IMHO it has
better support that the collection of OSS modules and the OSS emulation is
now pretty good anyway. dont know about the surround stuff tho.

with linux installed there are usually loads of HowTos installed in
/usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs
or on
http://www.linuxdoc.org
These contain a lot of info from people who have been ther and done it
before.

Tim.