ipchains question

Hello,

I am new to ipchains (and firewalls in general).
I am running a 2.2 debian linux with an adsl
connection (pppoe).

Once I set the default input chain behavior to DENY,
no matter what other rules I set, I cannot get named
to work. I have tried just accepting all tcp packets
from anywhere to anywhere on any port and I still
cannot get named to work. I can get ping to work
on ip addresses by accepting the appropriate icmp
packets.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimmy