.config

    Dan> My Mandrake distro

Oh, joy.[1]  But I digress.

    Dan> How can I generate a .config file from my current setup that
    Dan> I know works?

You have to find one.  Most distros keep them around somewhere, Debian
eg keeps them in /boot/config-<version>.  cp that to
/usr/local/src/linux/.config (or wherever you keep your kernel sources).

Now, if you were using XEmacs as your kernel, you'd just type
"describe-installation" and get the full configuration.  But you're
not.  ;-)

Footnotes:
[1]  Mandrake is doing a pretty good job of creating a user-friendly
distribution that actually works for non-hackers.  Unfortunately, when
it doesn't work, they've often made it difficult for anyone who's not
a Mandrake developer to fix.