Re: RH7.1 Japanese environment

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Breen" <jwb@example.com>
To: <tlug@example.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 12:46 AM
Subject: RH7.1 Japanese environment

> Well, since I seem to be able to get messages to/fromthe list,
> here's a real question.
>
> I'm now bringing up RH7.1 on a desktop. I opted for an "English"
> installation (because I am lazy), but I understood from Adrian Harvill
> that the full Japanese environment was there; just disabled.
>
> kterm runs OK (and amazingly will now display JIS X 0212 without me
> having to fiddle with it.) My usual things like jstevie and xjdic run
> OK, so the next step is to get kinput2/wnn running.
>
> When I looked at it, it seems cannaserver was running. I tried starting
> up "kinput2 -canna". It seemed to start OK; from within a kterm it would
> bring up an over-the-spot window, even do a kana->kanji conversion, but
> when I hit shift+space, it beeped and deleted the text instead of
> dropping it into the app.

What I've found with RH7.1  was that if I have English as the default with
Japanese enabled, is that I was only able to get vi and pico working (from
within a kterm--not an xterm).  I wasn't able to get things like Sylpheed
and the like to input Japanese.  I took the lazy way out put it with
Japanese as default on another box.

FWIW, I do a text logon and use icewm. My .Xclients file is
kinput2 -canna &
exec icewm
This way it's running in the background and I don't have to worry about
starting it up.

Not sure if this is of any use but....
Scott Robbins