vmware

Tobias Diedrich writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I'd like to know if someone here on this list is using vmware and
 > can answer this question:
 >
 > At my University we have a few dual boot Win/Linux systems.
 > Some of them are running Windoze most of the time, so I thought it
 > may be good to install vmware on them so that it will be started at
 > boot time, so I can ssh to the Linux part even if it's running Windows
 > at the moment...
 > Only problem I see with this is wether vmware could somehow
 > tell the underlying Linux system when it is to be shut down because
 > of a reboot and if it is at all possible to run vmware as a service like
 > this...

Why do you need vmware to tell Linux to shut down. I don't know if I
understand your question correctly. If you shut down the emulated
computer within vmware, the machine will either halt or reboot. You
will either see the empty vmware window or the boot screen  of
vmwares "bios", counting memory, detecting cpu etc..
If you want to shutdown the underlying linux part just shut it down
and vmware will be stop like any other process.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@example.com                     http://www.metzlerbros.de
mocm@example.com                    http://www.convergence.de