canuum, uum and nvi

After Tobias told me about kon, I began looking around to see how to be
able to enter Japanese text without starting X.
Various google searches led me to canuum,uum and nvi.

Of the three, only nvi is installed on RH7.1  However, it won't toggle
properly in kon---it will in kterm, but...

So, I've been searching for canuum and uum with no luck.  Searching tlug's
archives did determine that people thought uum should be included in RH7.1
J, but wasn't.

A link that turned out to be dead on google mentioned that canuum was
"obsolated" so I'm wondering if my lack of luck here is simply because I'm
way behind the times and there's a newer way to do it.

Thanks for any help

Scott Robbins (who is about ready to bite the bullet and learn emacs.)