sed/vi how to concatenate all non-empty lines?

I've been wracking my little brain over this for too long ^_^

I have a text file with some formatting I want to get rid of. Looks like a
CR is present at the end of each line to format the text to 76 char per
line. I want to get rid of this to have all text for one paragraph on one
big line.

So how to I get sed or vi to concatenate all lines within a paragraph into
one linebut keep the empty lines between paragraphes? (i.e. concatenate all
consecutive non-empty lines together)?

Thanks!

Jc