From: Hector Akamine [mailto:akamine@example.com]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 9:26 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Cc: akamine@example.com
Subject: cheap NICs

Hi,

I think this question comes from time to time to the list, but here we
go again (I searched the archive, but couldn't find something that helps
me [1] ) :

How good is the support for "cheap" network cards in linux? We plan to
buy a new PC, and initially thought to use a 3COM card, but with cards
with less than one-third of the price (Corega, Netgear, Planex, I/O Data)
(prices from tzone.com) I think in giving any one of them a chance. Is
there any card model (or maker) from which I should stay away? (There
are also big differences in price between cards from the same
manufacturer. Why? ) We plan to use RH 7.x

Thanks in advance

[1] By the way, the search engine of the TLUG archive seems not to be
working
correctly. For example, entering "gnome" returns "no matches".

Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, Aug 10 19:30-  Tengu Tokyo Eki-Mae
Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, Sep ?? 13:30-  Akasaka Kumin Center