Re: cheap NICs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hector Akamine" <akamine@example.com>
To: <tlug@example.com>

> Hi,
>

> How good is the support for "cheap" network cards in linux? We plan to
> buy a new PC, and initially thought to use a 3COM card, but with cards
> with less than one-third of the price (Corega, Netgear, Planex, I/O Data)

FWIW, I've had no trouble from RH 6.x up with the Netgear FA310TX, it's
always automatically detected.  (Most other distros, Slack, Deb, SuSE, etc)
also detected it with no configuration on my part.)
RH7.1 detected the FA311 as well, but some other distros didn't.  It's
getting harder to find the 310 as Netgear pushes the 311.
HTH
Scott Robbins