Re: Lower life forms and computing in Japan

I can confirm that there's CD-chewing fungus, or a chemical reaction
that mimics this. I've seen it on the important side of audio CDs. I
have somewhere a set of the BMG complete works of Enrico Caruso -- no
giggling; it's what my girlfriend asked for -- that, in the space of a
year, came to look very odd and be completely unplayable. I complained
to the store, which wasn't interested. I complained to one arm of BMG,
which again wasn't interested, and then to another, which immediately
offered to send me a replacement set.  Within a year, the same thing had
happened to these replacements.  (By that point I was bored and gave up
complaining.)

I suspect it has something to do with the paint on the obverse, which on
these CDs is pretty much covered by a rich brown "retro" design. It has
never occurred to any other CD of mine, which I've treated or mistreated
similarly.