rplay bug? (was: Re: Thousands of erroneous syslogs about media changes)

    Tobias> I just installed rplay and played a bit with it.  Looks
    Tobias> very nice, but I think I have found a bug.  I cannot play
    Tobias> audio files if the filename includes whitespace.

Not surprising.  Putting whitespace in filenames has always been a bad
idea.  NBSP was invented long before 1984, and has been standardized
in the Latin alphabets since at latest 1986.

Try changing the name of the file from "Star Ocean EX - TV Theme.mp3"
to "Star\240Ocean\240EX\240-\240TV\240Theme.mp3".

:-)

    Tobias> Somehow I won't believe that this kind of bug would show
    Tobias> up in a piece of software that has been around since 1993

    Tobias> Another thing I just noticed: The latest news seems to be
    Tobias> from 1999/03/10...  Is rplay not being maintained anymore
    Tobias> ?

rplay has never been that commonly used AFAIK, more so on (what used
to be) high-end workstations.  You know, by people who would rename
files so that they didn't have to escape the shell specials in them.

Spaces in file names are a function of modern GUIs.  What _I_ don't
understand is why the long key at the bottom center of the keyboard
isn't bound to 0xA0 in file selection dialogs....

;-)

    Tobias> I will have a look at nas next...

NAS is actively maintained.