Re: Apache fails to start under RH7.1

Jc,

The purpose of /etc/hosts is to get an IP address, given a
hostname. This is the same basic function as DNS. DNS can
also do some other fancy things like use MX records to
tell where mail should go. Having the hostname in /etc/hosts
gives you a fallback in case DNS is unreachable. And of
course, some sites don't use DNS at all, keeping all the
host/ip address mappings in /etc/hosts.

The entry in /etc/sysconfig/network tells the host what its
name is.

Jake