Re: Apache fails to start under RH7.1

    >> You should be seeing an entry for the httpd service from
    >> netstat, but it should be provided by the httpd, not by
    >> [x]inetd, in the standalone case.

    Jean-Christian> I have both an https and http entry. Is this
    Jean-Christian> kosher?

Yes.  The netstat you report looks fine to me, as far as it goes.  The
https is for http via SSL, for secure connections.  http is the
regular http connection.  Since SSL is involved, you can't do both on
the same port, so you need to listen for two different ports.

What command are you using to start Apache?  Where is the [FAILED]
message reported, on that useless Red Hat boot screen?  On my (Debian)
system, there is no /var/log/httpd; instead Apache keeps its logs in
/var/log/apache/ (there are three, access.log, error.log, and
suexec.log).

    >> You removed the host name from where?

    Jean-Christian> Actually I don't know. I removed it from the GUI
    Jean-Christian> tool RH7.1 provides for network configuration.

Oh.  That's probably /etc/hostname.

    Jean-Christian> But if I fgrep recursively starting from / I get
    Jean-Christian> these matches. Unfortunately looks like stuff that
    Jean-Christian> in the kernel

Yep.

    Jean-Christian> Does this mean that my hostname is hardocded into
    Jean-Christian> the kernel and can not be erased simply by
    Jean-Christian> removing the hostname line from /etc/hosts or
    Jean-Christian> /etc/sysconfig/network?

No.  The kernel does something to find out what it is, typically look
in /etc/hostname, but then it is kept in an internal buffer for later
reference.