Re: round 2

Stephen Turnbull:

> Ah, sorry, you pleaded subtlety-impairment earlier, didn't you?

Just impairment in general.  This includes, but is not limited to, intelligence-,
time-, patience-, subtlety-impairment.  But hey, "What does not destroy
me makes me stronger" (Nietzsche [maybe]).

> Of course you need X or some other graphical windowing system.

Damn, and here I was, starting to think that maybe I didn't.  (All the
useful work I used to get done in MS-DOS, sans windows, sans graphics,
sans rodent, sans everything. Sniff.)

> Peter> Initializing USB controller  OK

> Possibly a problem.

Thanks for the advice. Which comes minutes after another message, in
private, telling me that it's probably no problem.  Anyway, I'll
do my incompetent best to investigate.

>>  Peter> (--) SVGA: Mode "800x600" needs hsync freq of 48.08 kHz. Deleted.

> It means that various high resolution modes are predefined.
> The X server will try to give you the highest resolution your
> monitor can handle.

>  Peter> and how do I square that with hsync freq of 37.8 kHz?

> Don't worry about it.  It's just telling you that it realizes
> it can't use that mode.  Why does it try?  Apparently something
> in the configuration suggested it would be desirable if it were
> possible.

Not just something; somebody: me. It asked me for hsync; I told it 37.8,
it doesn't seem to like that.

On XLS files:

> I have three options: Use Excel, use StarOffice, or use
> Gnome.

Jonathan Byrne:

> Or KDE office.

Right, or KDE Office. Or maybe Applixware (though that costs money). And
I meant Gnumeric, sorry.

Jake Morrison's suggestion of http://www.sanpei.org/Laptop-X/Laptop-X/
is very helpful-looking. There are some very similar-sounding computers
among them.  Now all I need do is figure out what the expletive-deleted
it all means, and add a couple of days to this week.

Over and out for a day or so, while I again attend to the bits of my job
I'm paid to attend to.