Re: Netscape and Japanese

Speaking as a self-confessed Win2K user. . . .

NS 4-point-anything is a turkey, and for two reasons. First, it makes a
half-baked attempt to handle CSS (NS3 doesn't try; Mozilla gets it
mostly right).  Secondly, there's the infamous "Netscape burp", when NS
reaches the charset meta tag, stops, and reloads.

On any (Windows) system with at least 64MB of RAM, I use Mozilla as my
standard browser. There's one thing it doesn't do well, which is to fill
up forms. It may be very slightly less stable than MSIE 5.x (6.0 is said
to be a dog), but it does a better job with CSS.  And it doesn't "burp".

Is Mozilla http://www.mozilla.org/ for Linux so inferior to that for
Windows?  It might be worth a try.  (Ditto for Konqueror, of course.)

> One reason was that he needed Word

Like a hole in the head. I unfashionably believe that MS can produce (or
at least buy up) good software: Cinemania, Flight Simulator . . . um,
there must be one or two more. But Word?  (Incidentally, there's serious
misinformation about it in today's IHT. But I digress.)