Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

On Wed, 2001 Jul 11 "BABA Yoshihiko" wrote:
> >     Tobias> But the rule has always been to make your swapfile at
> >     Tobias> least twice as large as your physical memory.

> I have heard of it many many times.  But can anyone explain why? (Sorry, if
> I missed someone explaining it, but I don't think anyone has answered yet) I
> have 512MB on my laptop. Does it make sense to allocate 1GB to swap?

This legend is coming from early years of UNIX. First UNIX machines used
swap partition to dump memory image to it in the panic. But core dumped
starting from upper addresses.

Then when you boot system after crash, swap starts filling up from lower
addresses, and your dump is intact and you can work with it and move to
filesystem.

Modern unices dump directly to filesystem (those that can panic - linux
AFAIK can't), so requirement to have swap size twice of memory size is not
true anymore.

Regards,
--dmytro