access mode of a directory

Hello,

I have a doubt about directory permissions. If I set the access mode of
a directory to 711 (drwx--x--x), can the files of the directory be
accessed by the members's of the group? In the case of a directory,
what is the difference between 711 and 700?

I am using .htaccess in apache to restrict the files of a
directory (originally with mode 755) to be viewed only when the correct
username and password is provided. But the contents of the directory can
obviously be seen by anybody who can log to the machine. Does changing
the permissions to 711 prevent this?

Thanks in advance