FreeBSD/Linux Cross Compiler FUBAR

ok, I've built sparc-solaris-2.7 cross compilers on linux before, but now
I"m trying to build a linux crosscompiler on freebsd and it's pissing me
off.  I've done:

1.  download binutils-2.11.2.
2.  binutils:  ./configure --target=i386-redhat-linux
		make && make install
		creates /usr/local/i386-redhat-linux/bin/ld (and as, other
binutils, etc...)

3.  Copy all the stuff from /lib and /usr/lib on an i386-redhat-linux box to
/usr/local/i386-redhat-linux/lib
4.  Copy all the stuff from /usr/include on the i386-redhat-linux box to
/usr/local/i386-redhat-linux/include
5.  Fixed all the broken links created by #3 and #4.
6.  Download gcc-3.0.
7.  gcc-3.0:  ./configure --target=i386-redhat-linux
		make

Here's where the problem comes in.  As soon as it gets to stage2 and wants
to use the "xgcc" stage1 compiler, it starts calling the crosslinker to try
to link things (ie, /usr/local/i386-redhat-linux/bin/ld).  This cross linker
is complaining that /lib/libc.so.6 cannot be found!

Why is it looking for libc.so.6 in /lib?  Shouldn't the crosslinker *know*
to look in /usr/local/i386-redhat-linux/lib instead?  How do I tell it to do
this?  Is this GNU's fault for writing an inadequate configure script for
binutils to build a proper cross linker or am I just being an idiot and/or
forgetting something?

please help, if you can.  thanks!