Re: not-even-newbie printer question

Tapio, you make the Brother sound whelming.  I might as well stick with
my LaserJet IIIP (it might even rate as "vintage").

Well, this is getting more and more frustrating. A press release (sorry,
mislaid the URL) tells me that Oki and IBM are working together on Linux
printer drivers; a search of Oki's Japanese website doesn't turn up a
single laser printer with Linux drivers. Lexmark sells what I want in
the US http://www.lexmark.com/printers/linuxprinters.html -- but not in
Japan http://www.lexmark.co.jp/ja/drivers/drvsrc.html .
Yeah-yeah-we-all-love Epson's download page
http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/products/download/index.htm doesn't
mention anything other than Windows or Mac. So the companies themselves
won't support Linux. OK, no surprise there -- but is there some website
where drivers are archived? I can't find it.

It occurred to me that Plat'Home's selection of printers might show
which were Linux-recommendable, but
http://www.plathome.co.jp/products/index.html doesn't mention anything
as mundane as a printer.

Stephen:

> I got into the Ghostscript business in '90 when I was still
> running DESQview/X for want of a real OS (actually,
> DV/X _was_ a real OS, but that's another thread and another ML)

I think that was something of a golden age of software: people were
getting good at writing effectively and concisely. I still use goodies
from that period. The idea that StarOffice is available free for Linux
and is just like MS Office (only not quite as bloated, and of course
free) doesn't excite me at all, I'm afraid.  Now, if someone were to say
there were a XyWrite clone for Linux. . . .