ADSL with E-Access & GOL

Hi,
I am having no amount of trouble setting up a #nix machine for a buddy to
act as the gateway server. The connectivity is a combination of E-Access and
GOL. The router foisted on him by GOL is pretty much next to useless unless
you want to run all machines behind the router as DHCP assigned private
address. Which is not any big deal if you can create static routes on the
router to the target machines. Does not seem possible with the unit he was
requested to use.

Ok so here is the scenario, FreeBSD 4.2 ( no flame mail please, love linux
but decided to go this way this time ). Standard ppp.conf and appropriate
kernel tuning done. Switch the router to bridge mode no cigar. Cannot for
the life of me work out why E-Access is different and whether the problems
are authentication types ie PAP vs CHAP or whether there is really something
funny their network. I myself use Flets ADSL and ATT and have had no
problems at all. NTT rent me an IP Bridge which works like a charm and has
from day one but the austere fellows at E-Access/GOL seem to feel that a
simply technology like this would not work on their network (?).

Can anybody offer some advice as to how to use an IP Bridge with the
E-a$$ess/GOL combination and what type of problems to be on the lookout for
?

Thanks in advance.

Luke K