Re: selecting DB on linux

At 12:19 PM 6/14/2001 +0900, Tom O'Dowd wrote:
>If you haven't looked at PostgreSQL since 6.x, then you'll see a vastly
>improved server. I'd say it scores well in all areas you are looking
>for although mysql will probably be that bit faster. You'll want the
>latest version 7.1.2. I've never bothered with mysql though since I
>need transactions so I can't really comment on the differences.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tom.
>
>On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 11:58:00AM +0900, Jonathan Shore wrote:
> >
> > I'm moving away from oracle on Linux (a monster of a DB which was a
> > nightmare to install and maintain) and looking to replace with another DB.

I have to agree with Tom--we use PostgreSQL with PHP4 and are very, very
pleased with it.

Our customer took our application and put it on a monster dedicated server
(duel 933Mhz) and the thing screams. It's noticeably faster than on our
833Mhz server.

Anyway, in my limited experience, MySQL isn't that much faster than
PostgreSQL. Check out this article for some data on it.
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3

Also Postgres received the 2000 Linux Journal Editor's Choice Award for
Best Database.

It's worth taking a look at it,
Rod

Rod Holmes