Re: Unicode TTF containing CJK?

Simon Cozens <simon@example.com> writes:

> > Why would in not be?   8-)}
>
> xfstt seems to have "fun" mapping ordinary characters in TT fonts; giving
> it a full-on Unicode font sounds like asking for trouble.

xfstt won't work.

But xfs as contained in XFree86 4.x will work. And you don't have to
use a font server if you don't want to, the "freetype" module as well
as the "xtt" module of XFree86 4.x can handle something like
Microsoft's Arial Unicode as well.

It is very slow though, opening Microsoft's Arial Unicode takes more
than 30 seconds on my 500 MHz Pentium III. When you use the "freetype"
or "xtt" modules of XFree86 4.x, your whole X-server will freeze
during that time. When you use xfs, only the application requesting
the font will freeze for that time, other applications remain usable.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。