Re: (slightly) offtopic- radio modems

Quoting Nikolay Elkov <nickx@example.com>:

> I will need a radio modem which works with Linux. I know next to nothing
> about wireless communication and I am using the term 'radio modem' simply
> because I don`t know a better word. I need something which works at a
> distance  500-1000 m. I want to connect two machines only, so some kind of
> a poin-to-point solution is needed. I have looked at what they have in
> stores- it seems they only offer 'wireless lan' devices which have a range
> of about 50-100 m. Haven`t had the time to check out Akihabara though. Can
> a 'radio modem' be bought in Japan, does anyone know how much it will
> costs? Any useful links are welcome. Thanks in advance.

There's been a lot suggested already... however, this brought to mind an
article that ran on slashdot a month or so ago... Some people in northern
california are using a booster antenna to run a 802.11 wireless
connection between two computers at a range of 20 Miles.. has some
interesting in on ranges and range calculations as well...

James Gibson