drive backup (was: Unicode TTF containing CJK?)

Norman Diamond:

> use something like Ghost[*] to back up your Linux partitions onto
> an external drive if it will do so.

An alternative that sounds interesting is Paragon's Drive Backup 2000,
http://www.paragon-gmbh.com/n_db.htm , of which we read:

>  All commercial filesystems (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, HPFS, Ext2FS,
> Linux Swap, NetWare FS) can be handled by Drive Backup for
> copying/imaging. It means you can copy HDD/partition having
> these file systems to another hard disk, back it up or restore

(from http://www.paragon-gmbh.com/n_db_requir.htm ). Not free, let alone
open-source, but downloadable for $29.95, which I imagine compares
favorably with *Ghost* (tho' I haven't checked).

>  Does anyone know if Gnu is working on a free copy of Ghost?

I don't know, but (i) XXCOPY http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy/ is worth a
look for other filesystems (it's freeware for personal use), and (ii)
its author writes at http://www.luni.org/mail-archive/Dec2000/0107.html
: