chown question

I'm trying to do a chown on a set of files but it keeps complaining "invalid
user" ... strangely enough I was able to do a chgrp with all the same
arguments. I'm assuming it's because the name has a "." in it ...

Can anyone offer suggestion on how I might get this command to co-operate?

[root]# chown -R okubo.yoshiko top40
chown: okubo.yoshiko: invalid user

But a cat of /etc/passwd show that there is such user ...

[root]# cat /etc/passwd | grep yoshiko
okubo.yoshiko:x:507:507::/home/okubo.yoshiko:/bin/bash

Thanks!

Jc