Re: Partition size

Scott Stone <SStone@example.com> writes:

> nah you can make it whatever size you want.  The basic rule is, make it
> twice the size of your physical memory.  BUT:
>
> 1) don't make it smaller than 32mb
> 2) you *can't* make it larger than 128mb - well, you CAN, but Linux will
> only address 128 megs worth.  Or did they fix that?

They fixed that long ago. Even when there was a limit of 128MB for a
single swap partition, you could get more total swap space by setting
up several 128MB swap partitions. And for a long time already it has
been possible to have more than 128MB in a single swap partition.

The machine I am currently working on has 256 MB RAM and three swap
partitions with about 750MB swap space total:

mfabian@example.com:~$ cat /proc/swaps
Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/sda2                       partition       136544  88960   2
/dev/sdb1                       partition       136512  88804   2
/dev/hda1                       partition       503960  0       1
mfabian@example.com:~$

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。