Re: DNS is up!

Showing my ignorance once again ... ;)

>You would need to put the host in the zone files for the
>hmv.co.jp domain.

Ok, I'm confused. If I want intranet.hmv.co.jp I have to put something in
hmv.co.jp. BUt I can type in hmv.co.jp and go to a web page. But hmv is not
a machine in the co.jp zone ... hmv.co.jp is a machine in the hmv.co.jp zone

>It is pretty confusing having the same name for the host and
>the domain. You might want to consider using a different
>subnet name, considering how things might need to be divided
>in the future as the company grows. And making it shorter, e.g.
>"int" would save some typing, in the fine Unix tradition :-)

I totally agree! Hence the reason I want to use intranet.hmv.co.jp instead
of intranet.intranet.co.jp ;) But I agree that int is better.

>This is a client setup issue. You need to define the set of
>default domains to try. On Unix, this would mean adding something
>like "search intranet.hmv.co.jp hmv.co.jp" to /etc/resolv.conf.

I disagree. I can type intranet in my web browser and it brings up the
default apache web page for intranet.intranet.hmv.co.jp ... but if I type in
top40 it brings up nothing. top40.intranet.hmv.jp works though.

And speaking of windows ... Does it keep a DNS cache? named is currently not
running but I can still access local machines by name. I'm guessing my win2k
box is keeping a cached copy of the DNS request reply?

Jc