Re: DNS forward question

>It forwards first, removing the first shouldn't change things.

Shucks.

>I wouldn't imagine that is should have any major affect if it
>queries the remote servers first,

The effect is that a query was forwarded that my local DNS can answer for.
The is no need to forward the request, wait for a negative answer and then
look it up in it's own database files. I would like it to look up it's
database file before asking anyone else.

>and if your DNS server has access
>to the internet I'm not sure why forwarding is needed since it should
>check root servers automatically for any host it doesn't know. Why
>are you trying to use forwarders anyhow?

That's actually a good question. If I try a lookup without forwarders I get
this:

[root@example.com named]# nslookup www.yahoo.com

But my named.conf file has "." entry as follows. I guess I must have
something configured wrong somwhere?

zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "db.cache";
};

Also, doesn't using forwarders lighten the load on my own DNS server? This
in that they don't have to process a whole iterative lookup but pass a
recursive lookup request to the forwarders?

Jc