Is my DNS setup "logical"?

First off, thanks for bearing with me while I suffer through my DNS setup.

I'm still very mystified by DNS so I thought I'd ask if my logic for settign
up a DNS server and how I'm going about it is sensible or if I've missed the
point of DNS.

We have a LAN that uses private IP addresses and is connected to our ISP by
a firewall. (I'm assuming it does some sort of NATing since we have access
to the Net).

Basically I want to be able to address machines in our LAN by name instead
of IP. So I tought I set up a local DNS server that would answer for queries
on the LAN for names on the LAN and pass everything else on.

This might sound like a basic question, but is this the right way to go? Can
I simply just pass requests on to the name servers we currently use and just
forget about what happens next. Or will my local DNS server be taxed by
replies from the requests in passes on? (I ask this since the local machine
is an old Pentium 300 and I don't know if it can handle being a full-fledge
DNS server on top of a Samba and http server.)

Thanks for the opininons!

Jc