Using older libraries

  I'm trying to make some older libraries (that were part of my RedHat 6.x
installation, but aren't there in Rh7.1) available to a program called
'xvscan'.

  The 'xvscan' binary that I have seems to depend on the following four
libraries:

	/lib/ld-linux.so.1
	libX11.so.6
	libm.so.5
	libc.so.5

  'ldd xvscan' wasn't reporting anything except 'No such file or
directory' until I put 'ld-linux.so.1' in the /lib directory.  Now
there's some improvement:

<denismcm@example.com:~>$ ldd /usr/local/bin/xvscan
        libX11.so.6 => not found
        libm.so.5 => not found
        libc.so.5 => not found
/usr/local/bin/xvscan: can't resolve symbol '__ctype_b'
/usr/bin/ldd: line 1:  2957 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS=1 LD_WARN= LD_BIND_NOW= LD_LIBRARY_VERSION=$verify_out LD_VERBOSE= "$file"

  I've tried using the export LD_PRELOAD="" idiom to make the right
libX11.so.6 available for 'xvscan', but this doesn't seem to help.

  The four necessary libraries are all readily available.  How can I
make 'xvscan' find and use them?

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan